Tips to Getting Moisture Under Control in Your Home

Posted by on Jun 21, 2016 in Uncategorized |

moisture in ceilingHaving too much moisture in your house can cause mold growth. When humid air hits a cold surface, the moisture turns into water. Many daily household activities produce moisture, including washing your clothes and dishes, taking a bath or shower, and even cooking.

During winter time, openings without insulation, such as doors, walls, and windows, are susceptible to moisture. Non-insulated pipes can also get moisture in the summer season. Water accumulates on these various surfaces and eventually spreads to other parts of the building, peeling of the paint, and rotting the surfaces, thus creating the perfect environment for mold to grow and thrive.

To control moisture, dry any visible water. Controlling moisture requires not letting surfaces cool down too much, and reducing humidity.

Always keep the vent fan on while showering, and leave it on for up to 30 minutes after showering!

Consider installing storm doors to help surfaces stay warm during the winter season.  You can also get extra thick windows to help with insulation. Besides reducing moisture, these additions help houses to be more energy-efficient all year.

Another way to stay warm is by opening your curtains and blinds in the winter season so that sunlight hits your windows. Insulating water pipes as well get rid of a fresh, natural surface in warmer months. Put sleeves on your pipes to add insulation.

The heating and cooling systems in your house will also help control moisture. Gas or electric furnaces eliminate humid air. Air conditioners lower the moisture level in the air. Make sure your systems have good air flow, and if you run into any problems have them looked at by a professional who can get things back in working order.

Another way to control moisture is by caulking or weather stripping. They will make your home more energy-efficient, as well as keeping humidity away. Use exhaust fans in all the bathrooms and laundry rooms, and ensure that you have an exhaust hood in your kitchen too, as these fans remove moisture from those rooms. Keep the fans clean so that they work correctly and adequately control moisture in your home.

dehumidifierIf you live in an area where it’s not possible to control humidity, you can control moisture by using a dehumidifier. You can use this device in almost any room, including high humidity rooms like laundry rooms, bathrooms, and kitchens. Really any room where the air conditioning doesn’t circulate well.

Dehumidifiers can be your best friend in the summer months down in the Delta or southern states like Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Florida. Humidity levels typically shoot through the roof, and that usually brings with it heavier amounts of rainfall. The excessive rain can cause many more moisture issues than we’re usually accustomed to, so being prepared with the tips in this article and having a dehumidifier that is in excellent working condition can save you tons of headaches.

Dehumidifiers are almost non-negotiable must-haves for “snow birds” that leave their homes and condos during the hotter months while they spend time up north. When they leave the doors and windows closed and push up the temperature on their thermostat, moisture levels can nearly triple.

Read More

Symptoms of Toxic Mold Poisoning

Posted by on Jun 10, 2016 in Mold, Uncategorized |

Toxic Green MoldMold gets commonly found in most homes and for the most part, their presence is benign. However, there have been several cases where the toxic variety got found. Hence, the following symptoms should not be ignored as they can cause serious and sometimes even fatal problems…

Sinus Problems
One common symptom indicating exposure to toxic mold or mold poisoning is problems with the sinuses, such as headaches, nasal congestion, or a runny nose. But non-toxic mold can also cause these symptoms, so get it checked as soon as possible.

Dizziness spells
Bouts of dizziness or feelings of light-headedness also indicate that one is suffering from the presence of old in the home. This symptom often accompanies sinus problems mentioned above. When this happens, it means that the toxins from the mold spores are being spread all throughout the body.

Sore throat and coughing
A cough that doesn’t go away even after several days of medications can also be a mold poisoning symptom. As it is, fungi cause throat irritation and chronic coughing, and if these conditions persist, it can be a sign that the mold is toxic, or it’s a case of mold poisoning. Visit your doctor immediately.

Most mold is harmless. However, if you experience any of these symptoms and also have identified the presence of mold in your home, it’s important to get the mold removed immediately.

Sinus Issues from MoldAsthma attacks
While the exact cause of asthma still needs to be pinpointed, exposure to mold for a significant period, especially during one’s early years, has been determined to be one of them. Exhibiting asthma symptoms can indicate the presence of toxic mold in the home.

Hives and skin rashes
Some people experience rashes appearing on their skin upon exposure to toxic mold. This happens due to the skin’s natural reaction to the toxic mold, or another unavoidable mold poisoning symptom. Hives and rashes on the skin should be checked by a doctor immediately.

Unexplained fatigue
If one is feeling lethargic or is tired all the time for no apparent reason, toxic black mold can be the culprit. Even if you have been eating and sleeping well, the toxins in the mood have a detrimental effect on the immune system, leading to one feeling unwell all throughout the day.

Trouble with memory and hearing
Once spores from the toxic mold are in the bloodstream, they can find their way into one’s respiratory system, and when they do it won’t take long before they affect one’s brain. For most people, this is manifested by unexplained memory loss or having trouble with hearing. This too gets considered and another unavoidable mold poisoning symptom.

Blood in the lungs
One of the most severe symptoms of toxic mold poisoning is the presence of blood in the lungs. Once you suffer bleeding in this vital organ, the damage from the gold’s toxins has reached a severe point, and hospitalization is a must.

Don’t wait for these symptoms of mold poisoning to appear. Once you find mold in your home, eliminate their presence immediately as well as the conditions that make it possible for mold to grow.

Read More

Everything You Should Know About Bleach And Mold Removal!

Posted by on Jun 6, 2016 in Bleach, Cleaning, Mold |

Are you struggling to keep your home free of mold? Does mold affect your life and possess your home? Do not worry! Today we will discuss everything you need to know about mold, how you can get rid of it and what to do if you are stuck with a persistent mold problem/situation! Expect this article to be very informative to the point of being enlightening!
Bleach Is Your New Best Friend!

If you would like to get rid of mold, consider using bleach and you just may find that you have a new best friend in this amazing substance!

Yes, it is true – bleach can kill virtually every species of indoor mold you can think of! As long as bleach comes into contact with, along with its spores, it will leave a surface sanitized and resistant to future mold growth. So if you want to get rid of mold bleach is the way to go!


However, There Are Situation When Even Bleach Does Not Help
What? Wait, what? Yes, that’s right unfortunately bleach is powerless if the mold is growing on non-porous materials such as tiles, bathtubs, glass and countertops. Bleach cannot penetrate into these porous materials cannot come into contact with mold growing beneath the surface in order to be able to kill it. If you use bleach on the above the surface mold will remain and/or soon return.
Kill Mold With Bleach


If you want to extinguish all mold in your home with bleach products make sure you know that bleach produces harsh fumes! In other words, make sure the area is well ventilated before you begin! Also, wear gloves during the process, since it will help you to protect your hands. Use diluted bleach, by mixing a ratio of one cup of bleach per gallon of water and applies the solution to non-porous surfaces with mold. You can apply bleach using a spray bottle or by using a bucket and a sponge or cloth, either ways it works like a charm. Still, you do not rinse the surface, unless you use the surface for food preparation, or if the surface will come in contact with children or pets, because if you rinse the solution the bleach will not exterminate the mold.

In addition to that, you should also keep in mind that bleach cannot completely kill mold growing in porous materials. In fact, it is also true that the chlorine in bleach cannot penetrate into porous surfaces, drywall or wood, for example.

Also, bleach can damage the materials it’s used on as it is a harsh, corrosive chemical, so be very careful when you use it!

The harsh fumes and toxic gas bleach produces when mixed with ammonia usually affect the people so bleach is often avoided, as there are safer alternatives: borax or vinegar for example. Borax or vinegar do not produce dangerous fumes or leave behind toxic residue. For these reasons try to avoid using bleach and if you must use it, only use it on non-porous surfaces.

Read More
www.scriptsell.netLargest Online Shopping and Fashion Network