Lurking in often overlooked corners of our home, just a few feet from reach, mold can just be sitting there for quite some time before getting noticed. It is possible for mold to grow and flourish in one’s home for months before they get detected. Mold grow best in dark and humid places, which means that the kitchen and bathroom are the most likely places where they thrive.

The presence of mold can give the impression to guests that these areas in the household are not well-maintained. Appearances aside, leaving mold to grow untreated is, more importantly, a health hazard. It can cause allergies as well as more severe illnesses such as respiratory ailments. Bathroom grout, which is constantly in contact with moisture is very susceptible.

 

grout_mold2

 

 

 

 

 

Keep in mind that excessive use of corrosive cleaning materials will eventually destroy certain caulks and sealants. You may have to replace them in certain areas over time.

 

 

 

 

Here are four easy to find yet very useful substances that one can use to remove mold from grout:

  • Hydrogen Peroxide

This chemical compound is one of the most efficient materials against mold and is very easy to source. It has anti-viral, antibacterial, and anti-fungal properties. You can use this not just on grout but also to remove mold or prevent it from growing on floors, walls, and even kitchen appliances.

To use: Using a spray bottle, cover with 3% concentration of hydrogen peroxide the surface infested with mold. Leave it on for ten minutes before scrubbing away the mold as well as mold stains. Spray for a second time and wipe away to remove the mold and spores that did not come out the first time.

  • Vinegar

As vinegar is a staple in every kitchen, you can immediately take out mold the moment you see them. Vinegar’s mildly acidic properties make it effective in killing at least 82% of all mold species.

To use: Spray white distilled vinegar on the moody surface, and leave it to sit. Do not dilute the vinegar. After at least an hour, wipe the area clean with water.

Clorox_Bleach_products

  • Bleach

Bleach can be one of the most potent removers of mold, but it should be known that it only cleans surface mold. There’s a good chance that if the mold has penetrated and laid roots deeper into the grout, you will need a different solution to get rid of it for good.

To Use: Purchase a gallon of bleach and an empty spray bottle with trigger from a discount store such as Walmart of Dollar General. Fill the bottle up with bleach, and vigorously douse the contaminated grout with bleach. Make sure that there is plenty of ventilation, as bleach can be harmful to the lungs. Open the doors and windows to the bathroom and turn the vent fan on as well. Simply let the bleach set and dry. You can come back a few hours later and spray down the surfaces with water.

  • Baking Soda

Also a common kitchen staple, baking soda not only can be used to remove mold. It is also safe to use that you don’t have to worry about side effects on the household members, even the pets. This mineral powder also absorbs moisture and is effective in keeping mold from growing back in the future.

To use: Mix one-quarter of baking soda with water and dissolve in a spray bottle. Spray the moldy surface with the water and baking soda solution. With a sponge or a brush, wipe away the mold. Rinse with water to remove any mold residue that was not initially out. Spray again and let dry.

All these three substances are not just cheap and efficient against mold. They are also safe and non-toxic when compared with other chemical-based commercial cleaning products and come handy in your mission to remove mold.